Looking to Buy a Home in 2024?
Purchasing your first home can be an exciting and daunting process. We recognize that many first-time homeowners may not be familiar with Ontario’s property assessment and taxation system or MPAC’s role in it. That’s why we’ve created the First-time Homeowners’ Hub, an online resource to educate new homeowners on their property’s assessment and MPAC’s role in supporting them.
We consulted with customer facing MPAC staff and REALTORS® to learn what common questions new homeowners have about their assessment and structured our resources to help answer these questions. Some of the common themes explored are:
- What their Property Assessment Notice is (and what it isn’t!)
- The relationship between property assessment and taxation.
- Their 2016 property value.
- How we use sales to determine the value of a home.
- The building permit process.
- What to expect from their first property inspection.
- And school support (even if they don’t have school-aged children).
Please feel free to reach out should you have any questions regarding property assessment matters.
Manager, Government Relations
Corporate & Government Relations Department
Office of the President and CAO
Municipal Property Assessment Corporation